1.07.2009

Opening sentences

Since I began writing (a whole four months ago), the most daunting task I've been faced with, that I encounter in every piece of work that I commit myself to, is the elusive opening sentence.

The perfect sentence to begin a paper or a story with is fleeting. Thoughts of the perfect words strung together to create a coherent drift through my mind like a breeze through chiffon curtains, and I sit at my computer.

And blink. A breath; a grimace. And then a coffee. Followed by a cookie, until finally I look at the clock and realize I've been staring at the same blank screen for the past twenty minutes with nothing more than the teasing and obnoxious cursor that almost seems to be mocking me. And Facebook is only so amusing after so long.


Such is life for an English major with ADD and sometimes nonexistent motivation.


So why am I writing a blog? A journal that, everyday, will begin with beginning sentences?
Why does anyone have a blog for that matter? Inspiration? Validation? The hope that someone in the vast world might just read something we write and identify with it. Perhaps to bring joy into someone's life. A blog is essentially living a life of first sentences. Everyday, every post has a first sentence.

In the same way, every day in reality starts with a first sentence. Sadly, I don't know what that is. So maybe that's what this blog is for: finding the perfect string of words that fit into reality every day, my first of many sentences.

And perhaps some randomness interjected here and there, as the ADD sees fit.

1 comment:

  1. It was a happy day for him when he gave us our new lives, through the truth of his Word, and we became, as it were, the first children in his new family. JAMES 1:18 LB

    ReplyDelete